DaLee Kicker

The day started with the stars still shining and the sun no where in sight.  As a coffee addict my first stop was Starbucks to get my drug of choice, a Venti coffee.  I also ordered oatmeal that I could eat on the way to my Dad’s appointment with a “movement and neurorestoration” doctor.  Which really means that we were going to get a formal diagnosis of Dementia or Alzheimer’s.

When I got to Dad’s house he was ready and waiting which was a surprising turn of events since he is not a morning person (I am not sure he even went to bed).

The time for me to eat my oatmeal arrived and I pulled the packages of nuts and dried fruit out, dumped them both in the perfect oatmeal consistency and much to my surprise, there was a knife in my bag instead of a spoon. Wait? What?  Why? How can I eat oatmeal on the run without a spoon? Why didn’t the person that put my oatmeal in the bag pay attention?  Did she want to ruin my morning?

As I am talking with Daddy about no having a spoon and having to make do with a knife, we began to discuss all of the lessons that can be learned from just this one tiny event during a day, a week, a month and a year of challenges!

The first lesson is about begin present, paying attention and doing everything with excellence.  If the person that prepared my oatmeal had done that, this would not have been a blog post.

The second is about our reaction to the things that happen.  How do we handle the little annoyances?  With grace?  With anger?  In 1 Timothy 1:14-17, Paul describes the grace that Christ has for us, shouldn’t we practice the same kind of grace?

14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.[1]

After laughing about my predicament, I prayed for the young lady that prepared my oatmeal and her day and then proceeded to eat my oatmeal with the Knife!  I will not let my circumstance dictate my attitude and I will (strive) to give grace!

[1] The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (1 Ti 1:14–16). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

Comments

aa
11/26/2016 9:09am

aa

02/04/2017 1:48am

Your title alarmed me. Eating oatmeal or anything at all using a knife as a replacement for spoon is a terrible idea. You could slice your tongue or your lips. Omg, you could've stabbed yourself. This could be a potential influence to kids that it's okay to put sharp things in your mouth. I'd have a heart attack if you were my kid.

06/28/2017 4:16am

Your title totally got my attention, to be honest. I am so sorry you had to eat your oatmeal with a knife. I know how frustrating it can be when you are about to eat and your eating utensils end up being inappropriate or missing. I got frozen yogurt once and the lady in the counter forgot to put a spoon with it so I had to wait until I got home to eat it. This sucked because half of my yogurt had already been melted. This can be a really annoying situation for us all but I love how you made something positive of your situation. Next time around I will try to be as understanding as you when a situation like this happens to me again.

11/28/2016 11:47am

It is something related to food that’s why I loved it because I am fond of eating and tasting new recipies. Here writer is talking about eating ot oatmeal with knife which sounds very exciting. So guys you can share your personal experience as well by commenting here.

11/28/2016 11:53am

I don't get the whole point of this post. I am troubled whether it is related to eating oatmeal with real life knives, or something that has a deeper meaning. I wonder if there is a hidden meaning behind it. The story is more focused on its fictional aspects rather than the reality. Nevertheless, I am still happy to learn about this blog and I hope to read more of your stories.

12/13/2016 3:29pm

I hope you will continue to share these stories. I love to read them here.

01/04/2017 2:19am

A very well written post...never read such issue before. Thanks fo informing.

06/20/2017 4:36am

That will tell us how to react properly. Great idea!