DaLee Kicker

Every year around this time, I think about what is Valentine's Day really?  A commercial revenue stream?
A day to buy pricey flowers?
A day to give/receive cute valentines?
A day to buy those wonderful chocolate hearts?
A day that makes those without a "Valentine" hate?

I think all of those can be correct depending on our season in life.  It can be a great day, where you feel loved, it can be superficial, where you kinda feel loved, it can be a tough day, a day that you don't feel loved.

For many years, as a happily married woman for 32 years, I would anxiously anticipate Valentine's day.  I would be so hopeful that whatever my husband bought, candy, flowers a beautiful card with a nice love message would make me fill loved. However, many times I was woefully disappointed and I didn't feel loved on Valentine's day.  Don't get me wrong, I know my husband loves me lots, however, on the one day set aside by the calendar for me to feel loved I didn't.  Then, I went through a period that I absolutely hated Valentine's day and didn't want to celebrate at all.  It was just easier than the disappointment.

But, in recent years instead of looking to my loved ones to fill my Valentine's day need, I have looked to God.  He loves me (and You) more than anyone earthly person could possibly love us.  And He doesn't disappoint!  We are told in 1 John 3:1, "How Great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!" (NIV).  When we look to God, He doesn't disappoint. He lavishes His love on us and He can handle the pressure of providing the perfect Valentine's day!  Don't look to others for your Valentine's day love,  look to the Creator of the universe.

Comments

08/08/2016 10:52am

This is absolutely a very informative post, I got something new here. Thanks!

06/22/2017 9:30pm

I never look forward to Valentine's Day because it just reminds me that I am alone and all of my friends will be with their boyfriends and girlfriends. But I realized that Valentine's Day, though originally meant for lovers, is not for lovers alone. Valentine's Day is now being celebrated for love in general. Your father and mother can be your Valentine. Your best friend can be your Valentine. Even your dog can be your Valentine. It's not just about having a boyfriend and a girlfriend. It's about celebrating with the people you love.

This is such a wonderful and inspirational article. Lovers in the United States go all out in displaying their fondness for each other: Every year, Americans spend a sweet 18 billion dollars on candy, cards, chocolates, flowers and jewelry. Greeting cards are the most common gift, but not just for couples. Family, friends and schoolchildren also exchange cards with notes of friendship, affection and appreciation. America’s most popular Valentine’s Day candy isn’t a box of chocolates, though it’s the little conversation hearts with messages like “Be Mine” and “Kiss Me”. Let us also not forget that everyday is a Valentine's day because God never fails to make us feel loved everyday.

10/03/2016 5:36am

So, you don't like this day? Why shouldn't I look to other people?

06/22/2017 9:24pm

where to order papers

11/28/2016 4:44am

I think that aside from Christmas, Valentine's day is one of the most popular, if not one of the most celebrated occasions in the planet. I think this is due to the fact that we all want and need to be loved. At the same time, a lot of us have so much love to give. So we share it with others. That love is not just for family members and close friends. Some of us celebrate our love for God. But we shouldn't just do it during Valentine's day. We must do it everyday.

I think that we need to show our love everyday. Not only during such holidays. Love have no time limits!